Friday, August 12, 2011

Nazar


I purchased this simple piece at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. The distinctive blue bead is known in Turkey as nazar boncugu, or the evil eye bead. The role of the bead is to protect you, your family, and your belongings from greedy and envious eyes. While this one in particular is distinct to the Turks, variations on the protectorate can be found everywhere from Tibet, Egypt and Ethiopia to Greece, Brazil and Israel. 

A friend explained to me that the red string holds meaning, too. To the Kabbalist it means protection, to the Hindu it brings blessings, to the Buddhist it means bravery, and to the Chinese it means destiny.

I have never been the type to rely on any man made item for my source of protection and security; I rely on a much higher power than this bead. The reason it adorns my wrist, however, is a reminder of what, or should I say who, does protect me.



It's my intimate reminder that I am protected.




3 comments: